London, Ontario – June 1, 2016 — The Board of Directors of the Ontario Automotive Recyclers Association (OARA) is pleased to announce the recipients of the post-secondary education funding for 2016/2017.
The Scholarship Program generates funds from a number of sources, all culminating at the OARA Conference. The annual “cat drive,” where member recyclers are encouraged to donate catalytic converters, raised $4,673.87. The casino night and silent auctions at the OARA Conference raised $11,901.08. Two other major funding sources were the Veolia used oil rebate, which netted $7,894.09 in donations, and draws at major automotive auction houses raised a further $2,670.
The OARA Employee Scholarship Program started in 2010. Since that time, OARA has provided scholarships to 191 recipients for a total of $190,500.
Scholarship applicants must plan to pursue a full-time post-secondary education program in an accredited college, university or school providing trade, business or technical programs, or enroll in a recognized apprentice program with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. Applicants must also have achieved at least a 65 percent grade point average, or equivalent, in their previous educational program.
In addition, a parent or guardian of the applicant must be a current employee of a Direct Member of the Ontario Automotive Recyclers Association (OARA) with a hire date at least one year prior to April 30 of the application year. Children of owners or those owning stock in the business are not eligible.
This year’s recipients are listed below.
• Molly Ghanam, A&L Auto Recyclers
• Amanda McCaskie, ABA Auto Parts
• Wilson Nixon, Andy’s Auto Wreckers
• Cody Corbin, Arnprior/Ottawa Auto Parts
• Logan Naudi, Cambridge Auto Parts
• Olivia Johnson, Carcone’s Auto Recycling
• Aaron Taylor, Carcone’s Auto Recycling
• Christopher Taylor, Carcone’s Auto Recycling
• Lauren Wyatt, Corey’s Auto Wrecker
• Bryan Thomas, Dom’s Auto Parts
• Emily Raite, Doug’s Auto Parts
• Makayla Churchill, Formula Auto Wreckers
• Thomas Arseneau, Hank’s Auto Wreckers
• Dustin Boehm, Hank’s Auto Wreckers
• Jessie Seili, Hank’s Auto Wreckers
• Matthew White, Hotch’s Auto Parts
• Nicholas Polinski, Miller’s Auto Recycling
• Erin Collison, Miller’s Auto Recycling
• Hannah Polinski, Miller’s Auto Recycling
• Spencer Gullion, Miller’s Auto Recycling
• Alysha Gullion, Miller’s Auto Recycling
• Christina Whitmore, Nuhn’s Auto Supply
• Morgan Hughes, P&G Auto Parts
• Caitlyn Elton, Pic N Save Auto Parts
• Jesse Fitzgerald, Standard Auto Wreckers
• Victoria Lam, Standard Auto Wreckers
• Jessica Tymchyshyn, T&T Auto Supply
• Ashley Tymchyshyn, T&T Auto Supply
• Meghan Behm, Valley Automotive
• Kristen Noack, Valley Automotive
• Samantha Cooney-Grills, Woodbeck Auto Parts